Thank you so much to katiesjumbledthoughts for very kindly nominating me for this!
- Acknowledge the blog that nominated you and display the award.
- Answer 11 question that the blog gives you.
- Give 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5-11 blogs you think are deserving of the award that have less than 200 followers.
- Let the blogs know you have nominated them.
- Give them 11 questions to answer.
The 11 Questions Katie Gave Me:
2. What post that you’ve written do you think is your best?
I’m really pleased with my latest post about stories that deal with class. It combines my love of reading with my love of theatre and I get to talk about one of my favourite writers, Willy Russell. I also was able to shoehorn in some discussion of some of my favourite films, and I think my passion for this subject came through (or at least, I hope it did!).
3. If you could only own one book, which book would you pick?
Like one book… like, EVER?
I guess I would have to go with one of the Harry Potter books, just because they are the gifts that keep on giving. It would have to be one of the longer books so I had more to fill my time with. I think my favourite out of the longer books is Half-Blood Prince, so I’ll go with that one.
4. Book that made you fall in love with reading?
I’ve loved reading as far back as I can remember, but my favourite author when I was little was Enid Blyton and so it was probably her who made me love reading. (Although I remember reading Spot the Dog and The Very Hungry Caterpillar, both of which I must have read before I got to Enid Blyton.) I read dozens of Blyton’s books but one particular series I loved was The Famous Five, and one particular favourite was Five Go To Smuggler’s Top. I guess that was at least one of the books that made me fall in love with reading.
5. If you could have a super power, which would you want?
To control time. I’ve always wanted to do this so that I could wake up in the morning for work, then stop time and go back to sleep until I’m completely ready to get out of bed. Most people would save the world or something… I just want to nap.
6. What is your favorite season?
Probably winter. It’s basically all we get in the UK anyway!
7. Favorite Harry Potter character?
8. If you had to live in a dystopian world, which would you live in?
Oof, I don’t want to live in ANY dystopian world!
If I have to choose, I guess I would go with Wool by Hugh Howey. It seems like as long as you keep your head down, you can get along OK and not have too terrible a time there. (Although I’ve only read the first book in this series so it might turn out really horrible by the end.) (I also read it a long time ago so I might be remembering it completely wrong.)
9. Hardcover or paperback?
Nnngh. I don’t know. It depends on the cover really. If it looks prettier in hardback I’ll get hardback, if it’s prettier in paperback I’ll get that. I buy more paperbacks solely because they’re cheaper.
10. Coffee or tea?
Neither! I don’t drink hot drinks apart from the odd hot chocolate but even that’s rare. If I was going to drink coffee or tea I would probably choose tea because I can’t stand the smell of coffee.
11. What is your favorite animal to see at the zoo?
11 Random Facts About Me:
- I went to an all-girls school where we had to wear kilts.
- My favourite films are Calendar Girls and The Full Monty.
- I take part in NaNoWriMo every November, a challenge where you aim to write 50,000 words of a novel in 30 days. It might sound like you end up with nothing but a heap of rubbish, but people like Rainbow Rowell and Elizabeth Haynes have taken part in this challenge!
- I was a C-cup at the age of 10, and to this day there is nothing that I can remember more vividly than being in the swimming pool changing rooms and being laughed at by the other girls for my big boobs and bum! They were jealous a couple of years later, though. (Of the boobs. No one is jealous of the bum!)
- My dog (who sadly died last year) had the same name as me and was at least 19 years old when she died.
- Everything makes me cry. I cry when I’m happy and when I’m sad. So far this year I’ve cried while reading The Martian (Andy Weir), Room (Emma Donoghue), A Man Called Ove (Fredrik Backman), The Knife of Never Letting Go (Patrick Ness), Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend (Matthew Green) and Wonder (R. J. Palacio). (That last one made me BAWL.)
- I enjoy a bit of binge-drinking but am getting to the age now where I really hope people don’t ask me to leave the house for anything other than food.
- My favourite perfume is Diesel’s Fuel for Life.
- My bookshelf is teeny-tiny because I’ve been buying ebooks for years and have only recently gone back to physical books (which Booktube and Bookstagram inspired me to do. I really want pretty shelves again!).
- I will champion theatre productions above film and TV every time. (Apart from Grease. This is the only musical where the movie adaptation is better than the stage-show, in my opinion.)
- I have one of those money pots that you have to break open. It’s not so I can save for a house, a wedding or a holiday, but so that I can save up and get a dachshund.
The bloggers I nominate for this award are:
And the 11 questions I want you to answer are…
- What made you want to start a blog?
- Are you a dog or a cat person?
- Which famous person, dead or alive, would you most like to meet?
- EXCLUDING Harry Potter, which fictional world would you most like to visit?
- Name something on your bucket list?
- What did you do for your last birthday?
- Right-handed or left-handed?
- Would you rather have a tiny house and a massive garden or a massive house and a tiny garden?
- Do you believe in gods / a god?
- Which Harry Potter spell do you most wish you could use in real-life? (Let’s pretend there’s no International Statute of Secrecy.)
- If you had to choose, which would you rather live without: books, TV/film or music?